Bayou La Batre is a town in Mobile County, Alabama and is included in the Mobile metropolitan statistical area.
As part of the French settlement of the Gulf Coast, the bayou was originally called "Riviere D'Erbane" and acquired the present name from the battery of artillery on the west bank ("bayou of the battery"). Bayou La Batre was the first permanent settlement on the south Mobile County mainland and was founded in 1786.
Bayou La Batre is a known center for shipbuilding. The shipyards are owned and operated mainly by local families of the area and individuals from all over the world, including the United States, have boats built in Bayou La Batre regularly.